For many years, the Ohio Historic Markers Program has brought attention to a wide variety of noteworthy persons, places and events from Ohio's past.
Knox County's first marker was approved and erected in 1976 to recognize the beautiful Christ Church at the Quarry, near Gambier.
The stories below describe, illustrate and locate each of the ten markers you can visit in our county.
Knox County's first official Historic Marker was approved and erected in 1976 to commemorate the restoration of the Christ Church at the Quarry, near Gambier, Ohio. The project had been conducted by the "Quarry Chapel Group," a committee of the then recently reenergized Knox County Historical Society of the 1970's. It is thus designated as #1-42, as Knox County stands 42nd alphabetically among Ohio's 88 counties.
John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed, spent a good deal of time in and around Knox County from the early days of Ohio's statehood until about 1828, when he moved on further west.
We still mark the spot where he once owned two prime lots next to the Kokosing River in downtown Mount Vernon.
Even today, it is hard to imagine 10,000 folks gathering on Mount Vernon's Public Square to listen attentively for two hours or more to an energized political speaker.
But gather they did to hear a speech that we remember today as an important benchmark event in America's Civil War story.